Sunday, April 12, 2009
Google Maps
View Scotland in a larger map
Above is a Google map of a planned trip to Scotland. I love the Scottish scenery especially the isolated and windswept islands. I have embedded a lonely planet video of Edinburgh into the map. An interesting fact I discovered is that the program will only accept coding for a YouTube video. Other videos are deleted when you select save.
Ian Rankin, the author of the Inspector Rebus series, has an interactive map on his official website. The map is of Edinburgh were the series is set. On the map there are a number of icons that mark sites mentioned in the books. When an icon is selected the user is shown a picture of the site and an extract form his books. This is a great way for readers to visualise the scenes and to see the city from the author’s point of view.
Councils could create interactive maps showing the locations of their library branches. When selected each branch could show its opening hours, programs, and news. As Google maps are easily edited it would not be difficult to keep the news up-to-date.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is an interesting comment that you made about embedding videos into google maps. I did not know that it only accepted coding for a YouTube video. I wonder if this means that it only accepts google sites? It is a handy point to know and perhaps worth investigating to see why and if there is another way around it, or if there is some way that you are able to show those videos that you were trying to link in that would not save?
ReplyDelete